Holiday Hat #2

Since I knit my brother a hat for Christmas, and I have something in progress for my mom, I wanted to also knit something for my Dad.  It didn't seem right to leave him out!  I decided he could use a nice warm hat, so I went looking for a pattern that was pretty classically masculine looking. 

I settled on the pattern One Bourbon by Thea Colman.  I stop by my local yarn store (Hub Mills in Billerica, MA) and picked up a skein of madelintosh Tosh Vintage in the Ceremony colorway.

When I first cast on 112 stitches, it seemed like it was going to be really huge.  There are some notes in the pattern about modifications for size, but I was afraid if I decreased by two pattern repeats that then it would be too small.  So, I panicked and decided just to drop down a bunch of needle sizes (went down to 4-though I do usually have to go down two anyway to get gauge).  I am not sure why I always think I know more than the pattern.  I really should have YOU ARE NOT SMARTER THAN THE PATTERN tattooed on my hand to remind me to JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!!  The ribbing is pretty perfect, but the body of the hat itself probably could have been a bit bigger (like it would have been if I had just used the proper needles!).  I think it will fit my dad fine since it fits my head, and Bill's head, after an aggressive blocking.  I do really love the color and stitch definition of this yarn at this gauge, so it wasn't entirely a bad judgment call!

Link to My Ravelry Project Page: One Bourbon / Tosh Vintage

Holiday Hat #1

Back when we had a studio I used to spend all summer and fall getting ready for Holiday Open Studios.  I would knit and knit and knit so that I would have a fully stocked selection of gifts to display for the first two weekends in December.  When we closed the studio this summer I decided to give myself 6 months off.  No knitting for selling, just for me.  I have really stuck with this.  I did do a couple of test knits, but they were patterns that I like and got to keep the end result for myself.

As we started heading into the holiday season this year I realized that for the past 4 years I had been so focused on knitting for the studio that I did not have the time to make handmade gifts for anyone in years!  I did not want to go crazy since it was already the end of November when I decided to do some gift knitting, but I did have a few ideas in mind

First, was a hat for my brother.  I have not knit anything for him in a very long time, and he saw Bill's Christopher Hat this fall and his response was "where's mine?"  I asked what colors he would want, and he said black and camo.  I did knit him a camo hat out of some Red Heart Super Saver back when I was first re-learning to knit (probably about 14ish years ago).  He did wear that hat a lot, even with it being out of terrible yarn, so I think he is deserving of a new hat.  I had a REALLY hard time finding camo yarn though.  I feel like a terrible girlfriend, but I actually ended up stealing yarn that Bill had started knitting himself a hat out of.  He had fallen out of love with the yarn (he didn't realize it was going to look camo knitted up when he bought it, he just liked the colors) and he also had not knit on the hat at all in the past year or so.  Still, I felt terrible!  Thankfully, there is still probably enough left for him to finish his hat if he decides he wants too (or maybe I'll just finish it up for him as a thank you for lending me the yarn!).

I am not actually sure what the camp yarn is.  I am nearly positive that it's by Knit One Crochet Too, but the ball band has long disappeared.  My best guess is that it is Ty-Dy Wool, and then the black is Cascade 220 Superwash.  I think it turned out pretty well, hopefully my brother likes it!   

Link to My Ravelry Project Page: Christopher Hat / Cascade 220

Christopher Hat

Back in August, I knit Bill a new hat for this fall/winter season.  I used some Patons Classic Wool that he had picked out when we were in AC Moore one afternoon.  The colorways are Pumpkin and Natural Mix.  The pattern is Christopher by Jane Richmond.  The directions were simple and easy to follow, and the end result was a nice thick reversible hat that is solid on one side and striped on the other.  

The only mini-modification that I made was to drop down a couple needle sizes when working the last 10 rows of the first hat and the first ten rows of the second hat.  These are the rows that make up the "brim" and I wanted it to fit a little more snuggly there.  

Bill seems happy with the result!  

Link to My Ravelry Project Page: Christopher Hat